SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for website owners
Most people know how valuable a first page Google ranking is for your business. Do you know how to get one? Search engine optimization, or SEO, is not an exact science. It takes years of following search engines to understand the many factors of the algorithm that search engines use to rank websites. Are you curious why some sites are on the first page and others don’t even show up in the top 100? Major search engines including Google use a very top secret and highly complex algorithm to decide the order in which websites are displayed in their returns.
The public does not know the formula that the search engines use to place websites with top return placement. Top experts agree that the websites which are highly relevant and optimized tend to rank in the top listings. There are many more factors to consider for getting a first page Google rank.
How to get a Google first page rank.
1. Perform Keyword Research– Keyword research is one of the most important aspects to keep in mind when you optimize your web pages. Make sure that you are targeting the keywords which have the best chance to get a good rank. The best tool for Google is the Google Adwords Research Keyword Tool. Enter a most important keyword phrase for your website and this tool will return the top search terms of the keyword that you entered. This tool will let you see an estimate of the number of searches performed in a month for a keyword or search phrase. You will also be able to see the amount of competition you’ll have for that keyword. I recommend using this tool.
2. Optimize Your Meta Tags– Keywords must be in your title, description and keyword tags of your webpage. Images should named after keywords and also place keywords in ALT tags. Search engines can’t see what an image is; so these tags and image names provide a description.
3. Your Domain Name– Domain names that contain keyword phrases usually rank higher than those that don’t have keyword phrases in their name. This is not an exact science either, even a domain name that has all the keyword in it will not rank well unless you optimize your website and build a large number of quality back links to that website
4. Know Keyword Density – Keyword density is the term that refers to the percentage of times that your keyword phrase appears on a web page in relation to the total amount of words on that web page. The general rule is to have a keyword density set between 1-5%. Any higher and you run the risk of being accused of keyword stuffing which is considered spamming by most search engines. ( Google no longer looks at keyword tags, but still uses keywords in text)
5. Build Backlinks - Backlinks are HTML links that are on another website and point to your web site. We call them “inbound links” as these backlinks point “in” to your website. There are a few ways to get backlinks: article marketing, video marketing, social bookmarking, and social media websites. A popular way to get backlinks is blog and forum commenting. You must add to the conversation and submit valuable information to the community.
6. Anchor Text on Pages– Backlinks coming in to your web site should use anchor text. For example, if you were targeting the keyword phrase “Affordable Internet Marketing Services” You would want that anchor text to be on the other website when linking back to your website.
Your text might look like this I love <a href=”http://www.digitalextrememediagroup.com”>Affordable Internet Marketing Services</a>.
This is an example of an anchor text backlink for my site: I love Affordable Internet Marketing Services The anchor text that is the highlighted makes a clickable backlink.
7. Use Social Media– Websites like Facebook and Twitter allow you to share information with the people that are your friends and potential clients. You can also have a backlink to your website if others find this valuable they might want to share it with their friends or colleagues.
8. Article Submission and Marketing– By writing articles relevant to your subject and submitting them to article submission directories and websites including Ezine, and many others. They allow you to add your information at the end of the article with a brief bio along with a valuable backlink to your website.
9. Video Marketing– This can be a great way to get to the top of Google quickly. Make short videos about your business and submit them to YouTube, Vimeo, Revver, and other video sharing sites. Google ranks high for websites with videos. You have probably noticed this more than once when a website video has appeared on the first page of a given search.
10. Get a Google Maps Listing – A Google Maps Listing is the quickest way to get first page Google exposure. A listing on Google maps can get your website to appear on the first page just above the organic listings. This is a great way to inform your potential clients where you’re located.
Google maps allows you to get on the first page search return Another benefit of Google maps is that you’re allowed to create a Google Places page. This Google page allows you to post all kinds of information about your business, along with photos, videos, reviews, and you can even offer printable coupons. A Google maps page can get you on the first page for many search terms.
Keep in mind that you must follow all these factors to do well or place on the first page of Google search returns. If you are looking for affordable internet marketing for your website call us today 717-423-6494